Monday, July 2, 2012

An Intelligent Obsession- I'm Getting a New Book

As you may remember from my past posts, I love anything and everything related to King Henry VIII & the Tudors. I justify my obsession by reminding others that it is an intelligent obsession- I enjoy thinking about the history and the true stories, as opposed to being obsessed with.... I dunno.... ceramic cats.

So to feed my obsession, I've liked a lot of Facebook pages about the Tudors. I know the Tudor story- They met, they married, they divorced, they met, they married, one was beheaded.... It's always going to be that story. But what I truly love are the people. Henry and Katherine and Anne and Jane and Anne and Katherine and Katherine (he clearly had a thing for Katherines.) I love getting different perspectives on the personalities and truths behind the people. And these Facebook pages provide so many different perspectives.



The page The Tudor Enthusiast recently held a competition- tell the page why you love the Tudors, and you can win a copy of Sister Queens. Of course I enthused about the family I love the most, and I ended up winning!

The Sister Queens is about Katherine of Aragon and her sister, Juana of Castile. I'm really excited because so many of the books I've read are about the marriages after Katherine. But Katherine was an amazing woman. While Henry was fighting the French, Katherine took an army to the England border and defeated the Scots. Of course, she's remembered as the jilted woman, the pious woman, the noble woman. And she was. But she was so much more than that. So many of her amazing feats are completely forgotten because of Anne (don't get me wrong, I love Anne) and Henry. I am so excited to learn more about Katherine.

Juana of Castile is remembered as the "Mad Queen." I don't know much about her, besides that she had her throne taken from her twice- once by her husband, then by her son (the future Holy Roman Emperor Charles.) Keep in mind that she was the blood daughter of Isabella of Castile, and she should have remained queen because of her direct relation.

Almost proud that I knew all of that ^ without looking at Wikipedia.

Needless to say, I am really excited to read this book. Once I finish it, I will have a review up. In the meantime, I'm reading Pleasure Palace. That one will be up shortly as well.

I bid you adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment